
Video: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
The San Juan River overflowed on August 17, 2026, following the persistent rainfall across Metro Manila, leaving parts of G. Araneta Avenue impassable to motorists for several hours due to floodwaters.
Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Vince Dizon stated that despite recent dredging operations along the San Juan River and drainage expansion efforts on G. Araneta Avenue in Quezon City, these remain insufficient to handle extreme rainfall volumes.
Hence, the agency plans to construct a detention basin in the city to minimize flooding.
“Nakikipag-coordinate lang kami sa LGU, sa QC. Kung pag na-identify na natin kung gaano kalaki 'yung lupa then madi-design na natin nang maayos,” Dizon said
[“We are coordinating with the local government unit in Quezon City. Once we identify the land area, we can finalize the design.”]
Authorities are considering Sitio Kaingin Bukid in Barangay Apolonio Samson as a potential site for the facility.
“Dito ang i-identify pa rin namin yung Kaingin Bukid, yung isa. So we have to work with that, pero mag-laki yon. Kaya lang kailangan tulungan kami ng LGU for the right of way,” Sec. Dizon said
[We are identifying here the Kaingin Bukid. So, we have to work with that, but it’s a large area. That’s why we need the assistance of the LGU for the right of way.”]
A detention basin is an excavated catchment designed to temporarily store large volumes of water during heavy rains to prevent flooding in surrounding communities. A similar facility was previously constructed beneath a basketball court in Barangay Tandang Sora.
The DPWH plans to begin the expansion of drainage systems along both sides of G. Araneta Avenue next year.
Source: You do not have permission to view the full content of this post. Log in or register now.
Date posted: August 20, 2026 1:31 AM